- By Aditi Vilekar
While the whole world hoots on about “The Cloud”, there are those revered few that make statements which get embossed as the best Cloud Quotes. These who’s whos of the industry have given us all from definitions to strategies to industry mantras.
1. Take this for example, when asked “What is Cloud?” Vivek Kundra, Federal CIO – US Government said – “There was a time when every household, town, farm or village had its own water well. Today, shared public utilities give us access to clean water by simply turning on the tap; cloud computing works in a similar fashion. Just like water from the tap in your kitchen, cloud computing services can be turned on or off quickly as needed. Like at the water company, there is a team of dedicated professionals making sure the service provided is safe, secure and available on a 24/7 basis. When the tap isn’t on, not only are you saving water, but you aren’t paying for resources you don’t currently need.”
He is the same guy who also explained why cloud computing is more often than not more secured than traditional computing. “Cloud computing is often far more secure than traditional computing, because companies like Google and Amazon can attract and retain cyber-security personnel of a higher quality than many governmental agencies.” Thus giving the clouding community two of the most remembered quotes of all times.
Listed below are some more of our favorite quotes.
2. “Ultimately, the cloud is the latest example of Schumpeterian creative destruction: creating wealth for those who exploit it; and leading to the demise of those that don’t.” – Joe Weinman, Senior VP – Telx.
3. “I don’t need a hard disk in my computer if I can get to the server faster… carrying around these non-connected computers is byzantine by comparison.” – Steve Jobs, Late Chairman – Apple.
4. “Flying by the seat of the pants must have been a great experience for the magnificent men in the flying machines of days gone by, but no one would think of taking that risk with the lives of 500 passengers on a modern aircraft. The business managers of a modern enterprise should not have to take that risk either. We must develop standard cloud metrics and ROI models, so that they can have instruments to measure success.” – Dr. Chris Harding, Director for Interoperability and SOA – The Open Group.
5. “Cloud computing is really a no-brainer for any start-up because it allows you to test your business plan very quickly for little money. Every start-up, or even a division within a company that has an idea for something new, should be figuring out how to use cloud computing in its plan.” – Brad Jefferson, CEO – Animoto.
6. “The cloud services companies of all sizes…The cloud is for everyone. The cloud is a democracy.” – Marc Benioff, CEO – Salesforce.com.
7. “In the pre-cloud ERA, the cost of building software was so high that we often have to define a scope and leave out functionality which we feel doesn’t fetch the ROI for automation. Cloud makes whatever that was previously left out of scope as candidate for automation now! Thanks to simplification, access and affordability brought by IaaS and PaaS.” – Suresh Sambandam, Founder & CEO – OrangeScape.
8. “Cloud computing is empowering, as anyone in any part of world with internet connection and a credit card can run and manage applications in the state of the art global datacenters; companies leveraging cloud will be able to innovate cheaper and faster.” – Jamal Mazhar, Founder & CEO – Kaavo.
9. “If you want to be a viable cloud vendor selling products, you have no choice – your product must be multitenant in order to survive in the cloud world.” – Alok Misra, Cofounder & Principal – Navatar Group.
10. “With the cloud, individuals and small businesses can snap their fingers and instantly set up enterprise-class services.” – Roy Stephan, Director IT Architecture & Engineering – Intelligent Decisions.